1.3. Geocaches That Need Maintenance
If you find a geocache that is in need of some help (e.g. container is cracked, logbook is wet), please post a "Needs Maintenance" log on the geocache page so the geocache owner and the community is notified. This log adds an attribute to the page (looks like a red wrench) to alert other geocachers of the needed repairs. Logging Needs Maintenance does not increase find count. Needs Maintenance logs are not forwarded to reviewers.
Once you have made repairs, post an "Owner Maintenance" log on the geocache page. This log removes the Needs Maintenance Icon. Don't let your geocache be filtered out in Pocket Queries by forgetting to remove the Needs Maintenance Icon.
Additional reminders for Geocache Owners:
- Replace the container if the current one is not holding up in its environment.
- Make sure that that your container is watertight and that the contents are free from debris.
- If any of the geocache contents are wet, dry them off or replace them.
- Check that there is enough space left in your logbook for many more entries.
- If winter is approaching, make sure you include a pencil in your geocache since the ink in pens can freeze.
- If your geocache will not be accessible due to seasonal weather conditions, note this on the geocache page.
- Verify the Trackables that are listed in your geocache. Those that are listed in the online inventory but are no longer physically in the cache can be marked as "missing" by using the appropriate link on the Trackable's page.