Adjust your account settings and learn about site functionality.
- 1. Email
- 2. My Account and Profile
- 2.1. How do I validate my account?
- 2.2. How do I change my password?
- 2.3. How do I access my account settings?
- 2.4. What were the recent updates to my Account Settings?
- 2.5. I signed up using Facebook. How do I get a password?
- 2.6. How do I change my home coordinates?
- 2.7. Why am I being prompted to enter my home coordinates?
- 2.8. Friends List - Adding a Friend
- 2.9. Friends List - How your friend can accept your request
- 2.10. How do I edit the language on my account?
- 2.11. How do I edit my time zone, distance units, and date format?
- 2.12. Member ID
- 2.13. Photo Gallery In My Profile
- 2.14. How do I upload an image to my profile?
- 2.15. Where can I edit my profile statistics?
- 2.16. How do I add my FTFs (First to Finds) to my profile or statistics?
- 2.17. How do Lab Caches affect my Statistics?
- 2.18. Newest in State List
- 2.19. I can't stay logged in
- 2.20. Help! I accidentally denied authorization for GSAK or another geocaching tool
- 2.21. My username or password is not working.
- 2.22. Username Change
- 2.23. Merge or Combine Multiple Usernames into a Team Username
- 2.24. Username Issues: Special Characters in Username such as "&"
- 2.25. Deleting My Account
- 2.26. Status Types in a Profile Page
- 3. More Site Functionality
- 3.1. Geocaching.com Site Speed
- 3.2. Where did the "My GPS" section go?
- 3.3. Find Count In Geocache Listings
- 3.4. I think I just found a bug in your site. How do I report this?
- 3.5. Lists
- 3.6. Needs Archived Note
- 3.7. Printer-Friendly Pages
- 3.8. Stat Bar Customization
- 3.9. Find and Contact another Player
1.1. How do I add an e-mail address or change my primary email?
Changing your primary email address is easy. Just follow these steps:
- Sign into your Geocaching account and click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the page.
Select the "E-mail Preferences" tab.
Enter your new email address in the "Add E-Mail Address" box.
Click "Verify this address" to send a validation e-mail to your e-mail inbox.
- Click "Save Changes".
Once your new email address is validated, you can make it your primary address by clicking "Set as Primary".
You can continue to add or remove other email addresses from your profile from the E-mail Preferences tab.
1.2. E-Newsletter Preferences
Here's how to change your newsletter preferences:
- Log in to your Geocaching.com account.
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Select the "E-mail preferences" tab.
- In the "E-mail Address" section on this page, you can select whether you want your e-mail address shown on your public profile or not.
- In the "Updates" section you can select whether you want to receive the Weekly Newsletter and/or the Tips & Tricks Newsletter.
- Click on "Save Changes". Your newsletter preferences are now in effect.
1.3. Newsletter and Weekly Emailer
We can send you a weekly message containing, among other information, recent press and a list of new geocaches in your area.
- Set latitude and longitude for your home coordinates at the Manage Location page.
- Modify your account information and check the appropriate boxes at the E-Mail Preferences page.
___ Show my email address to other users.
1.4. Email Missing from Geocaching.com
Are you wondering why you are not getting any email from geocaching.com? There could be any number of causes for this. Here are a few things to look into:
- Check your email preferences at the Account Details Page: http://www.geocaching.com/my/details.aspx
- Scroll down to "Your Validated E-Mail Addresses" and click the "Change" link
- Under the "E-mail Preferences" section please be sure that the "I want to receive fun and helpful emails from Geocaching.com" box has a check in it.
- Select "Save Changes"
- Check your personal Spam settings. Individual users can white list our domain/IPs on their own. A person missing email from us might need to remove us from a personal black list.
Gmail users, you can create a rule to ensure you will receive all emails from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sign into your account.
- At top of the page in the search bar, click the down arrow (if hovered over it says "Show search options").
- In the drop-down form, enter "email@example.com" in the "From" field.
- Click "Create filter with this search".
- On the next page, select "Never send it to Spam."
- Click "Create Filter."
Before contacting us, consider looking in our Web Site forum to see if your particular issue has already been reported and (hopefully) resolved. Sometimes, specific issues are widespread so there may be others experiencing similar concerns.
1.5. Watchlist and How to Adjust It
A watchlist is a list of users that are watching a specific trackable item or geocache. A user who adds a trackable item or geocache to their watchlist receives a copy of each posted log via email. Owners of these items do not need to use this feature since they will already get a copy of those logs.
How do I add/remove watchlist items?
To add items: You must be logged in. In the upper right hand corner of the Geocache Details page or the Trackable Item page there is a link to "add to watchlist". It will take you to your watchlist page with the confirmation.
To remove items: Click on "My Account" from the left navigation area. Click the "watchlist" link at the top of the page. Click "remove" for any items you would like to remove. Shortcut:
1.6. Watchlist Identity
How can I tell who is watching my geocache?
For privacy reasons we cannot reveal the names of the watchers of your geocache. Sorry.
If you like, post a note on the geocache page requesting the watchers reveal themselves. Since they are watching the geocache, they will all receive your request by email.
2. My Account and Profile
2.1. How do I validate my account?
When you receive the validation email, simply click the link that is provided. Sometimes automatically-generated emails such as the one containing your validation vode are accidentally blocked by your email program or are incorrectly considered "spam" by your email provider. Please be sure to check your email's spam folder for the Geocaching validation email.
2.2. How do I change my password?
How do I change my password?:
- Log in to your Geocaching.com account and click on the gear icon in the upper right corner.
- In the "Change Password" tab, type your current password and new password, then confirm the new password.
- Click "Save Changes" to save your new password.
I have forgotten my password:
Click "Forgot your username or password?" on the sign in screen, or visit https://www.geocaching.com/login/password.aspx (you must be logged out of any Geocaching.com accounts to view the "Forgot Password" feature on that page. From there, just follow the steps on the screen.
Please be sure to check your spam folder if you don't see the password reset email after a few minutes. If you don't receive the email, please email us with your username. Be sure to specify the email address associated with your account.
I have lost access to the email address tied to my account:
That's ok, just email us and we'll try to verify you as the account holder and grant you access with your new email address. If this is the case, please email us.
2.3. How do I access my account settings?
See that gear icon in the upper right corner? Click it! You will be magically transported to the new and improved Account Settings tabs page.
2.4. What were the recent updates to my Account Settings?
How do I access my Account Settings?
See that gear icon in the upper right corner? Click it! You will be magically transported to the new and improved Account Settings tabs page.
What happened to my avatar/profile photo?
To make life just a little bit simpler, we've combined the Avatar and Profile images into one image (to rule them all, ahem) that will display universally across Geocaching.com. Going forward, we will not store images other than the current Profile image. This means that when you upload a new image as your Profile photo, the previous image will no longer be saved on Geocaching.com.
Where did all my stored Profile/Avatar images go?
Profile/Avatar images stored prior to the Account Settings redesign will be available via the link next to your current Profile image. We suggest that you download these images from Geocaching.com as we may discontinue storing them in the future.
How can I display larger images on my Profile now that the Profile image only supports smaller sizes?
You can add larger images to your Bio box, located under the Profile Information tab. You will need to use HTML and use <img> tags. Example: <img src="[Insert image URL]">
Where should information like my name, address, and occupation go, now that it's removed from the new Account Settings page?
To make Account Settings as easy to use as possible, we're going for simplicity. You are still welcome to display your name, address, occupation, and whatever else you like on your Profile (as long as it's appropriate of course!). You can do so in the Bio box.
Where can I customize my Geocaching.com experience to my location and language?
Under the Preferences tab, you can select your preferred language, time zone, and distance units. We've added many more time zones and date format options so you can localize your geocaching experience wherever you are in the world.
How can I edit my publicly displayed statistics?
Great question. You will now be able to edit statistics as they appear on your Public Profile directly from http://www.geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx
What happened to List Newest in [state]?
Our Account Settings page not longer supports this feature. We are working hard to improve other features on the website that will be able to serve up this information more efficiently. In the meantime, you can go to the Advanced Search page, select "By Country/Province", and then select the country and province of interest to you. You can bookmark the results to have easy access to the same search. Link to Advanced Search: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx
Why can't I see my GPS listed anymore?
We have not updated the "Your GPS" section for quite some time. If you would like to see reviews about a GPS or smartphone, there are many other websites out there that specialize in providing this content.
How do I add friends on Geocaching.com?
You will still be able to add/remove/view friends from the "View Your Friends" link on http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx and "Your Friends" located under "Quick View"
Can I update my Account information from my mobile device?
Shucks, we're glad you asked. And the answer is: YES! The Account Settings tabs page was designed to look great in a mobile browser.
I don't want to see other players' profile images in geocache logs. How do I turn them off?
Under the Preferences tab, you will need to uncheck the box "Show other geocachers' profile images in logs."
2.5. I signed up using Facebook. How do I get a password?
To get a password, you'll need to go to Geocaching.com and log out of your account. Then go to the reset password page, here. You'll be sent an e-mail with a link to create a new password. Then you can log into your app using your username and the new password.
2.6. How do I change my home coordinates?
Entering your Home Location or "home coordinates" improves the functionality of the web site significantly. For example, this data enriches your quick searches and enhances Pocket Queries. Your home coordinates are required when submitting a new geocache for publication.
To change your home coordinates, follow these steps:
- Log into your Geocaching.com account and click on the gear icon in the upper right corner
- Select the "Home Location" tab.
- Enter your home address, and click search. You can also move the pin to a particular spot on the map.
- Click on "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page.
You can choose to use the actual coordinates of your home, or if you choose, a location that is within 2 or 3 miles (3 or 4 km) of it. Reviewers do not see your home location; they only see a distance from your home location to your geocache location.
2.7. Why am I being prompted to enter my home coordinates?
2.8. Friends List - Adding a Friend
To add other geocachers to your My Friends list:
- Log into your Geocaching.com account.
- Visit Your Profile page at http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx
- Click on "Your Friends" located under "Quick View".
- Enter the username of the player you'd like to add and click "Go."
- Enter a message that will be emailed to the other player and click "Send Message."
The other player will not be added to your friend list until they accept your Friend request. You can see all pending friend requests under the "Pending Friend Request" tab located next to the "My Friends" tab.
2.9. Friends List - How your friend can accept your request
If you try to add another player as a friend and you receive a message that they are not accepting friend requests at this time, this is due to an option that the other player has set in their profile.
To change this setting, your friend will need to complete the following steps:
- Log in to your account
- Visit this page: http://www.geocaching.com/my/details.aspx
- Enter your password at the top of the page
- Scroll down to the "Preferences" section and check "Allow Friend Requests"
- Remember to click the "Update Account" button at the bottom of the page or your changes will not be saved
Once your friend has completed this, you can send them a new friend request. To accept, your friend can visit: http://www.geocaching.com/my/myfriends.aspx
2.10. How do I edit the language on my account?
We are pleased to offer Geocaching.com in 22 languages. Thanks to more than 150 community volunteer translators, portions of the website are available in:
English, Català, Cetina, Dansk, Deutsch, Ελληνικά, Eesti, Español, Français, Italiano, 日本語,
한국어, Latvieu, Magyar, Nederlands, Norsk Bokmål, Polski, Português, Română, Русский, Suomi and Svenska.
You can set your language preference in two places:
- You can choose your preferred language from the footer and header on each page.
- Or to make a more permanent change to your language, go to https://www.geocaching.com/myaccount/settings/preferences. Select your preferred language, time zone, and distance units.
Our hope is to continuously improve translations on the website.
Thank you very much to the community volunteers who translate for the international geocaching community.
2.11. How do I edit my time zone, distance units, and date format?
Account preferences such as time zone, distance units, and date format can all be edited to suit your geocaching experience.
- Log into your Geocaching.com account and click on the gear icon in the top right corner.
- In the Account Settings page, select the Preferences tab.
- After you've edited your preferences, select "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page.
2.12. Member ID
To find out what your Member ID is, you can do the following:
- Log in to your Geocaching.com account and click on the gear icon in the upper right corner.
- In the "Membership" tab, you will see your Member ID listed.
2.13. Photo Gallery In My Profile
Public Profile pages contain a "user gallery" of photos. This is an automatically-created collection of all the photos that user has uploaded as part of all their logs.
For instructions on adding photos to your geocache logs, please visit:
Note that the date we show in the user gallery is the date when the photo is uploaded. We do allow the user to change the date manually if desired. This comes in handy when uploading photos many days after the geocache log was actually posted.
If you notice date anomalies in photos uploaded before mid-2009, it may be because we used to use the date embedded in the image from your camera (EXIF data). If the date on your camera was accurate when the photo was taken, then it would also be accurately displayed online.
2.14. How do I upload an image to my profile?
Your profile image displays universally across Geocaching.com. To upload or update a profile picture, follow these steps:
- Log into your Geocaching.com account and click on the gear icon in the upper right corner.
- In the "Profile Information" tab, click on "Choose File" to upload a new photo from your computer.
- When you have selected the image you want, click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page.
Profile/Avatar images stored prior to our recent redesign (10.14.2014) will be available via the link next to your current Profile image. We suggest that you download these images from Geocaching.com as we may discontinue storing them in the future.
You can add larger images to your Bio box, located under the "Profile Informatio"n tab. You will need to use HTML and use <img> tags. Example: <img src="[Insert image URL]">
2.15. Where can I edit my profile statistics?
If you have a geocaching Premium membership, you can edit your profile statistics by logging into your Geocaching.com account and visiting http://www.geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx.
2.16. How do I add my FTFs (First to Finds) to my profile or statistics?
Congratulations on being FTF! Geocaching.com does not have a built-in feature that showcases FTFs. However, geocachers of use outside statistic generating websites such as GSAK.net or MyGeocachingProfile.com to display their FTFs.
2.17. How do Lab Caches affect my Statistics?
2.18. Newest in State List
The link for Newest in State was removed in the last Account Settings update.
If you want to search for newest caches in the whole state/province, you can go to the "Find a Geocache" page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/) and do a search by your state/province. Then sort by placed.
If you have a Premium membership, you can get a similar search from the homepage in two (later one) steps:
- Save your home coordinates in your profile (through https://www.geocaching.com/myaccount/settings/homelocation).
- On the homepage, click on the search icon (magnifying glass) in the "Search for Nearby Geocaches" section. Sort the list by "Placed" and you've got the newest geocaches near your home!
2.19. I can't stay logged in
This can happen for a variety of reasons, so we'll check several things. First, be sure that your browser has cookies enabled. You can find this in the settings section of your browser.
If cookies are enabled and you still can't stay logged in, try clearing your browser's cache and history. This will delete any potentially corrupted files. Also, be sure to try accessing your account with several different browsers.
If that doesn't work, you may be having network, firewall or anti-virus issues. Please check the settings of each to make sure they are not preventing access.
2.20. Help! I accidentally denied authorization for GSAK or another geocaching tool
If you accidentally denied authorization for GSAK to access your Geocaching.com account, please do the following:
- Launch GSAK and select "Geocaching.com access" > "Get another access token".
- Log in with the geocaching account you wish to use.
2.21. My username or password is not working.
If you are unable to login, there are a few things you can try:
Double check the spelling and make sure caps lock is off
Email us with your username or email address that's linked to your account
2.22. Username Change
If you want to change your username, you can do this yourself through the following steps:
- Log into your Geocaching.com account and click on the gear icon in the upper right corner.
- In the "Profile Information" tab, you can type a new username in the "Username" field.
- Click on "Save Changes" to save your new username.
Remember, this is the name that will represent you throughout all Groundspeak websites.
Usernames must be between 2 and 20 characters.
If a username already exists and has ever been validated, or the username has been used in any way, then the username is not available.
Once you process your new username, your site statistics will remain the same. The geocaches and Trackables that you own will still belong to you under that new name, and all your found geocaches and Trackables will show as found by your new username. You do not need to transfer them. You may, however, want to update the "Geocache Placed By" field on all caches that you have created.
2.23. Merge or Combine Multiple Usernames into a Team Username
Our system cannot automatically merge two accounts to create one "team" account.
If you'd like to join forces with friends or family members to log geocaches, please either create a brand new, separate account, or make one of the preexisting accounts into your team account.
If you choose to create a brand new, separate account:
- Visit the membership page to create a new team account
- Log any and all past finds and did-not-finds on the new team account using the date when you found the geocache.
- You may want to indicate this in your geocache logs under the new username with a sentence like: "I am logging this old find under my new username." Those on the Watchlist will appreciate this type of information.
If you choose to make a preexisting account into your team account:
- You can do this yourself by going to Manage Your Profile: http://www.geocaching.com/account/editprofile.aspx
- Pick the new username that you would like to use on the preexisting account. All the historical data will transfer to the new username
- If you would like us to disable a username that will no longer be used, please let us know by submitting a request.
2.24. Username Issues: Special Characters in Username such as "&"
If your username has special characters and it is suddenly different (ex. it used to be "Signal&Signal"but is now showing up as, "Signal&Signal"), here is the reason:
We believe a third party website e.g. GCStatistic V2.0.0b6 by MacDefender is altering your username every time you update your statistics. When this happens, you can go into your account settings and change it back. There's nothing we can really do on our end since the third party stats program is pulling in the data and changing the code.
To update and edit your Account Settings, please follow these steps:
- Log into your account on Geocaching.com
- Click on the gear icon at the top right of the homepage
- On the next page, you'll be able to edit all your account settings by tab
- The "Profile Information" tab is where you can edit your public facing information including your "bio". You can add html and banners in the "bio" section.
Here is a direct link to your profile page just in case you need it.
2.25. Deleting My Account
To disable your account, please visit your membership page.
Although accounts are never permanently deleted, they can certainly be disabled. Each account created on Geocaching.com is assigned a Member ID which remains as a historical record in our system. If you choose to delete all public profile information or adopt caches or trackables, you can do so before your account is disabled. Disabling your account will cancel your email subscriptions and future payments. Note that account changes may take up to 24 hours to take effect. If you have an active PayPal subscription, you may need to contact PayPal directly to cancel it.
2.26. Status Types in a Profile Page
Below are explanations of the different status types you can see in a public profile page:
- Member - created a Basic Membership for Geocaching.com
- Premium Member - paid for a Premium Membership for Geocaching.com
- Charter Member - has continuously paid for a Premium Membership since the first few months that they were offered
Other Status Types:
- Not Validated Member - has yet to validate their account via the email address they provided upon registration, or email to them bounces
- Inactive Member - has requested that their account be disabled
- Reviewer - a community volunteer who reviews and publishes geocache pages
- Lackey - paid staff member at Geocaching HQ (some lackeys are hamsters)
- User - Most accounts fall into this category: all accounts except Reviewer and Lackey
3. More Site Functionality
3.1. Geocaching.com Site Speed
3.2. Where did the "My GPS" section go?
We made some updates to the Account Settings page and removed the "My GPS" section. You can now share with others what device you use by adding it to your bio.
3.3. Find Count In Geocache Listings
Why aren't the find counts correct in geocache listings?
Due to the internet traffic we receive on a daily basis, geocache pages are re-generated only when major things happen. For example: new logs are added to a geocache page, a change is made to the description of the geocache, etc.
If you find another geocache, you may see a temporarily incorrect display on some pages that you have touched in the past. Don't worry: this will update once the page gets re-generated.
Fortunately that find number is always correct on your public profile. If someone wanted to find out your current find count, they could simply click on your username and look at your profile.
3.4. I think I just found a bug in your site. How do I report this?
Occasionally, you may find something on our website that does not work properly. We'd like to know whenever there is a bug so that we can fix it.
Here's what you can do, in this order:
- Check our forums to see if this has already been reported by someone else first. This is the most dynamic way to communicate with the active and well-informed community. Fixes or temporary solutions to known issues (workarounds) are also reported in this forum.
- If your topic is already posted, add any new information that will help us investigate.
- If your topic is not already there, start a new thread. Be sure to use the topic title and topic description wisely. Write something specific. For example, a title like "500 error when editing geoache page" provides useful detail. A title called "help me: I found a bug" does not describe the problem at all.
- Help us help you. If we cannot repeat the issue, we cannot repair it so the extra information below is a must. We will get to the bottom of it much quicker if we know about these details:
- What are the specific steps to reproduce your problem?
- If you use other browsers on your computer, does it happens there also?
- What is your Operating System? Windows XP, Mac 10.4, etc.
- What is your browser with version number? IE 7.0, Firefox 2.01, Opera 9.1
- What is the GC code? (if the error occurred at a geocache page)
- Are there any URL's (web page addresses) that you feel would help?
- When you find any thread that is interesting, track or follow that topic: In other words, subscribe to it so you are notified when there are new responses.
- If you feel that the issue you see is a personal one and not appropriate to share in a public forum, please contact us privately. See the link below for more information on how to do that or email us using the link on the left side of this page.
Please fix my bug! you pleaded,
But some repro steps are needed,
What you expected to happen
And what actually happened
Help resolve your bugs unimpeded.
Geocaching Lists allow you to organize geocaches so that you can keep track of your Favorites, watch the activity of geocaches, ignore geocaches so that they do not appear in your search results or Bookmark geocaches into groupings such as "the best geocaches for out-of-town guests."
There are three different types of Geocaching Lists:
- Favorites: Geocaching Favorites is a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most. For every 10 geocaches that you have found, you will be able to Favorite 1 exceptional geocache in your find history. The Favorites accumulated by a geocache are displayed in search results and on the geocache page so everyone can see which geocaches stand above the rest.
- Watchlist: By adding a trackable item or geocache to your Watchlist, you will receive a copy of each posted log via email.
- Bookmarks: Bookmarks are like a souped-up Watchlist. Add up to 1000 geocaches to each list and share them with your friends. This feature is perfect for planning your next trip.
3.6. Needs Archived Note
What is a Needs Archived note or log?
This log sends an email to the geocache owner and a local reviewer. There are several instances when using a "Needs Archived" log is appropriate. Here are some example situations that warrant a Needs Archived note.
1 - There is a law enforcement, trespassing or similar issue requiring immediate attention. Occasionally, a geocache is placed in a location that is inappropriate because of security concerns - schools, court houses, or airports among the most common.
2 - You believe that the geocache is missing, and the cache owner has been unresponsive to
previous DNF and Needs Maintenance logs.
When a reviewer receives a Needs Archived note he/she will usually:
Post a note to the geocache page in response to the Needs Archived log, providing the owner with an opportunity to fix the problem, and following up to make sure the issue has received attention from the owner. In cases where there's a legitimate maintenance need like a wet or possibly missing container, but not a trail of evidence that the owner has ignored their responsibility, it is appropriate to give the owner a fair chance to respond.
Do nothing. Some Needs Archived notes are logged purely as a matter of frustration, either because of a personal dispute with the geocache owner or an inability to find the geocache. New geocachers sometimes mistakenly assume that because they cannot find the geocache when their GPS zeroes out, it *must* be missing and therefore should be archived. Other folks simply choose the wrong log option by accident.
3.7. Printer-Friendly Pages
Do you need to print out a geocache page for easy reference? You can access a printer-friendly version of each geocache page by clicking on the appropriate link just under the area containing the geocache coordinates:
Simple [No Logs] [5 Logs] [10 Logs]
In addition to choosing how many logs you wish to print out, there are several more ways to customize your display. Try them before you print.
- You can choose to hide or show images in the short and long descriptions by clicking the appropriate button at each section.
- You can close sections that you do not want to print. Just click on the little black arrow next to the heading of any or all of those sections. Clicking the black arrow again will show the section again. In this image below, we have closed the "Attributes" section.
- You can customize the order in which sections are printed by dragging sections to other parts of the document. Put your mouse on the section name, click and hold down your mouse button, and drag the section up or down in the document. In this image below, we are dragging the "Trackable Items" section so it is now above the "Short Description" section.
- You can leave the hint encrypted or decrypt it before printing.
- You can utilize the "Print Preview" feature of your browser to scale the output, or selectively print only the first page when the 2nd page only contains a line or two.
Many thanks to Volunteer Geocache Reviewer Hemlock for initially developing these step by step instructions.
3.8. Stat Bar Customization
At My Stat Bar page, you can choose from one of two logos (the geocaching logo or Signal the Frog) and personalize your stat bar with a with a short quote. After you choose a logo and write a quote, click the "Generate Stat Bar" button to display what your stat bar will look like.
If you like what you see, copy everything in the box below the stat bar and paste it in the HTML of any web site you choose.
The URL for the example stat bar is: http://img.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=This+is+a+Stat+Bar&uid=457aa896-3133-409e-84fa-169764730e22&bg=1
The quote text begins with txt= and ends at the ampersand (&). Any spaces are replaced with addition signs (+). Anything not alphanumeric will need to be converted to its HTML equivalent.
Your user ID is the long set of alphanumeric characters and dashes followed by the uid= section. This only changes when you're working with another user's stat bar. A user's ID can be found as part of any hyperlink in geocaching.com referencing that user's account page.
Finally, the background number begins with bg= and is either a 1 or 2.
3.9. Find and Contact another Player
There are a few ways to locate other users on our site. You may click on their username from any forum post, geocache listing they own or any log they have posted.
Locating a User Profile
From a geocache page:
Click on the username, the link will take you to their profile page.
From Hide/Seek page:
- Click on the "Hide & Seek a Geocache" button on the upper left hand corner of the main page.
- Scroll the the bottom enter the username in the box to the left of this text "Or, Geocaches found by username:".
- Click "Find".
- Locate the user post on that page.
- Click on the username, the link will take you to their profile page.
From a Forum Post:
- Click on the user name in the upper left hand corner of their post.
- In the pop up window click "View ******* Public Profile".
(note: if you attempt to open the pop up in a "new window" you will receive an error message. You must just click on the user name.)
Contacting a User
- Visit the profile page of the user you wish to contact.
- Under "E-mail Address", click on "Send Message" or the e-mail address listed. You will be taken to a page through which you can send this user a message.