1.5. Mega-Event Classification
The goal of Mega-Events is to strengthen the geocaching community through amazing experiences. They also often result in inspired ways to play the game, friendships that last a lifetime and incredible amounts of fun.
Mega-Event status must be applied for yearly and is ultimately determined by Geocaching HQ. To be considered for Mega-Event status, Will Attends must surpass 500. It is uncommon for a first-time event to qualify for Mega-Event status. But, once an event has achieved Mega-Event status, organizers may find it easier to attain Mega-Event status for future events.
Events that reach Mega-Event status will receive a sponsorship package from Geocaching HQ that includes exclusive perks. For example: custom souvenirs, donations of tracking codes for event merchandise, Geocaching banners, a visit from Signal the Frog, and more. Also, because of the positive impact of these gatherings, all Mega-Events are featured in the Geocaching Weekly Newsletter regardless of the distance of the event location from home coordinates.
How to Apply for Mega-Event Status:
Please fill out the appropriate application:
General Guidelines for Mega-Events:
1. The Mega-Event Cache page must clearly contain the actual location of the event with both coordinates and address.
2. Mega-Events must take place at one main location and held on one day.
3. Mega-Event status requests must be submitted at least eight weeks prior to the event. A decision will be made 4 weeks prior to the event. This ensures time to properly prepare for, promote, and support the event. Events will not be upgraded to Mega-Event after the event has taken place. On rare occasions, a last minute decision may be made by Geocaching HQ to upgrade an event to Mega status. This is done at the sole discretion of Geocaching HQ. Last minute Mega-Event upgrades only allow the event organizer the use of the Mega-Event icon and do not come with the sponsorship benefits of obtaining Mega-Event status. If Mega-Event status is awarded to your event, Geocaching HQ will change the geocache type on the cache page and all geocachers who log their attendance on Geocaching.com will receive a Mega-Event icon.
4. Every Mega-Event must have a free or low cost participation option. Free or low cost participation options should include main event activities such as gathering, signing the logbook (if there is one) and participating in geocaching activities. Mega-Event organizers are permitted to charge additional fees for extra activities within the Mega-Event (such as a zipline or rock climbing wall). Mega-Events listings must also follow the commercial geocache guidelines. Any entrance fees charged to attending geocachers may only reflect the cost to host the event and should not be designed as a profit generating endeavor. Geocaching HQ may request budget information from event organizers to confirm the pricing structure.
5. The event title cannot contain any commercialization or the word "Mega". After the Mega icon has been officially added to the listing, the description can include the word "Mega". Events that have been awarded Mega-Event status are not permitted to use "Mega" within their event's proper name nor title. Events that were named prior to October 2013 whose names already included the word Mega are an exception. Mega status is intended to notate popular, large events - not as a means of attracting attendees. The designation of Mega status and the use of the Mega-Event icon will only be granted on the merits of the actual event. This is why many events attain Mega status after one or more annual iterations and often not during the first year.
6. Mega-Events should support each other and not be scheduled to compete with other nearby Mega-Events.
7. Mega-Events shall include Geocaching and the approved Geocaching logo as a sponsor on all support materials and web pages you have created for this event. If you have tiers of sponsorship, Geocaching must be at the highest level of sponsorship.
8. If your event has a separate event website, a link should be added at the top level of your site navigation pointing back to the geocaching event listing page on Geocaching.com. Example: "Mega-Event GC22386"
9. Geocaching must be listed as the primary sponsor of the event and included as the only listing service sponsor on all listings of sponsors and any external event websites. Specifically, no other geocaching websites or location-based games may be included as sponsors of a Mega-Event.
10. Events that previously had Mega status can be posted online as a general event up to one year in advance of the event. If your event has not previously reached Mega-Event status but is expected to reach Mega status, it can be published up to one year in advance at the discretion of Geocaching HQ.
11. New events will be required to surpass 500 Will Attend logs before they are considered for Mega-Event status. Events with history will be evaluated based on a minimum of 300 Attended logs from the previous year as well as a combination the current year's Will Attend logs, and factors such as location, history and date.
12. Artificially inflated Attended or Will Attend logs may disqualify events from reaching Mega-Event status. Asking people to log a Will Attend for the purpose of inflating the event's eligibility (they are not truly intending to attend) is not permitted.
13. Mega-Event organizers should maintain great relationships with the geocaching community, serve as model organizers for global geocaching events, and strive to create amazing events for their geocaching community.
14. Tickets for the main event and the official side events may not be sold until the event listing is published on Geocaching.com.
15. Mega-Events must be a minimum of 4 hours in duration.
The above guidelines have been established as a guide for event organizers in their planning process. Geocaching HQ has the final determination in Mega-Event qualifications. Geocaching HQ reserves the right to deny or retract publication of Mega-Events sponsored by other commercial geocache listing services, as well as parent and affiliated companies, unless written permission has been granted in advance by Geocaching HQ.