4.21. Adopt or transfer a geocache
Geocaching HQ will not process a transfer without permission from the original cache owner. Follow the steps below to transfer and adopt geocaches.
Steps for the original cache owner
- Visit the geocache adoption tool.
- Enter the GC code (GCXXX) and select Lookup.
- Enter the username of the new owner and select Go.
- Provide any additional information in the text box.
- Select Send Adoption Request.
Note: Archived and grandfathered cache types cannot be transferred to a new owner. Neither the adoption tool nor Geocaching HQ can transfer virtual, webcam or locationless cache types or archived caches.
Steps for the new cache owner
- When the original owner sends the adoption request, you will receive an email notification.
- Visit the geocache adoption tool and accept the adoption request.
- The cache listing will transfer to your account.
Note: The owner name on the listing will not change automatically, but it will link to the new owner’s profile. New owners often choose to edit the owner name to their username or “Placed by X and adopted by Y”.