6.1. Tracking Code Policy
Groundspeak's Tracking Code Policy
This article contains information on the approval process and purchasing of bulk tracking codes. If you'd like to make one item trackable, you may consider purchasing a Travel Bug set from Shop Geocaching or one of our official retailers.
This article is current as of November 2015. More information regarding our policy can be found at our discussion forum.
- The final design of each Geocoin must be approved by Groundspeak prior to production. Designs must be family-friendly and may not include modified versions of the Geocaching.com logo.
- Use of the Geocaching.com logo is not required. However, if you wish to use the Geocaching.com logo, the ® trademark symbol must appear as part of the logo. Feel free to use the logo on Trackables with no additional charge/licensing fee.
- All Trackables must bear the text "Trackable on Geocaching.com" or "Track on Geocaching.com."
- All design submissions must be the property of the owner or used with the owner's permission.
- Generally, Personal Geocoin/Trackable codes will begin with the "PC" prefix and will be named "Personal Geocoin."
- If 50 codes or more are ordered, a custom name may be requested and a custom icon may be ordered (details below).
- If 50 codes or more are ordered for a geocaching event, a custom name may be requested, a custom icon may be ordered and the "EV" prefix may be requested.
- If 1000 codes or more are ordered, a custom name may be requested, a custom icon may be ordered and a custom prefix may be requested.
- A custom activation code may be requested for any series of 100 coins or more. The activation code must be the same for all coins in the series and is limited to 10 alphanumeric digits.
Custom Coin Icons
- Available for geocaching organizations, associations, commercial coin groups and personal Trackables.
- The cost for a custom icon to be associated with your trackable is a one time fee of USD $150. The icon design will need to be supplied to us in GIF format (non-animated) in the following pixel sizes: 16x16 and 32x32
- All icon submissions must be the property of the owner or used with the owner's permission.
- The minimum order is 50 codes.
- If no custom icon is ordered, the generic icon will be used with your series.
Generic icon: Event Icon: Sample Custom Icons:
Custom Code Series
Following the first order of 1000 codes for a custom prefix series, future orders for the same custom prefix with a new icon only require a 100-code minimum.
Cost and Details
- The cost per tracking number is US$1.50 and can be paid via PayPal.
- There is a 50-code minimum purchase required, although custom prefixes require a 1000-code minimum order.
- Codes with corresponding activation codes will be emailed in a TXT file although an Excel file may also be requested.
- It generally takes five to ten days to process the tracking number order.
As of September 2015, we are now offering the option add Custom/Promotional Text on a tracking code series. This is a one-time series fee of $400.
- Description length must be 10 lines of text or less (approx. 150 words).
- Limited to three clickable links within the description.
- Links may be commercial (ie. manufacturer website, business site, etc.).
- One image/logo may be included within the description (max size 250 height x 400 width GIF format).
- One text/image update is allowed for text after the series goes live.
- Sample of promotional text: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=6159049
- You must have all necessary rights to any proposed text/images. Text and links must be family friendly and are subject to our approval.
You can sell your Trackables for profit or otherwise.
If your coin is non-trackable and bears the Geocaching.com logo, it may NOT be sold unless specific written permission has been obtained from Groundspeak to sell the coin.
Reselling Tracking Codes
It is not permitted to resell Tracking Codes. All bulk codes must be applied to approved trackable projects. If you have unused codes for your project, we can apply these codes to a new approved series for you.
If it is determined that codes are being resold, they are subject to removal from Geocaching.com and your purchasing privileges may be revoked.
To Get Started
- Please send your trackable design and orders to Groundspeak (email@example.com) for review.
- If you have chosen a coin manufacturer to produce your coins, please let us know which one you have chosen.
- Let us know the desired quantity, desired Trackable name and desired code prefix (if applicable).